What should I know about using Skype to talk to my doctor?

The medical community is still not so sure that medicine by Internet is poised to be the next medical frontier. But there are situations that do lend themselves to communication by email, or even Skype, if your doctor is willing.
If you are given a diagnosis and begin a new regimen of medication, then it might be reasonable to “check in” by email with your temperature readings, response to the medications, unpleasant initial side effects and then receive a rapid and concise written response by email from your doctor. That approach is not a good fit for every patient or doctor, though, so it is still done on a case-by-case situation nationwide. On the other hand, if you suspect you have shingles or chicken pox or some other communicable disease that has a telltale rash, then using Skype allows you to stay home and not put others at risk. Your doctor should be able to get a pretty good view of the rash on Skype, while you supply other symptoms verbally.
Some doctors have been using this approach quite successfully, so talk to your doctor to see how he feels about Internet communications.

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Is Your Hospital Treating You Right?
Is Your Hospital Treating You Right?
Hospitals across America are trying something new: Giving patients—and their loved ones—the red carpet treatment you’d expect from a fancy restaurant ...
Can I expect my breast cancer doctor to communicate well with my family?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Your doctor needs good communication skills to deal with your reactions and questions. Likewise, you...
6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor
6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor
Get the answers you need to take control of your health. Your healthcare provider is a wealth of knowledge, brimming with information to share with yo...
Should I Tell My Doctor That I Don't Get Regular Health Screenings?