What does the dietary term NPO mean?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
The dietary term assigned to someone who is not allowed to eat or drink anything, including ice chips, is NPO. Where did the term NPO come from? Well, “per os” is Latin for “by mouth” and “N” stands for “nil” which you know means "nothing." Thus, NPO means nothing by mouth, no exceptions. Some doctors will order: “NPO except for ice chips and medications.” Or they’ll order “clear liquids,” which typically consists of water, Jell-O, ginger ale, and Italian ice. Don’t cheat. Diet orders are written for a reason. If you’re unclear why you’re assigned a certain diet, simply ask.
Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before You Take an Opioid
When Alice (in Wonderland) spied a little glass box, “she opened it and found in it a very small cake, on which the words EAT ME were beautifully mark...
Why won't my doctor listen to me?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
My doctor is not listening to me...many other people feel the same way. When diagnostic tests, like ...
How can I determine if my breast cancer doctor spent enough time with me?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
This is a tricky one, because everyone’s perception of ‘enough time’ is different. What matters is h...
What You Must Ask Your Doctor
What You Must Ask Your Doctor