What does the dietary term NPO mean?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
The dietary term assigned to someone who is not allowed to eat or drink anything, including ice chips, is NPO. Where did the term NPO come from? Well, “per os” is Latin for “by mouth” and “N” stands for “nil” which you know means "nothing." Thus, NPO means nothing by mouth, no exceptions. Some doctors will order: “NPO except for ice chips and medications.” Or they’ll order “clear liquids,” which typically consists of water, Jell-O, ginger ale, and Italian ice. Don’t cheat. Diet orders are written for a reason. If you’re unclear why you’re assigned a certain diet, simply ask.
Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before You Take an Opioid
When Alice (in Wonderland) spied a little glass box, “she opened it and found in it a very small cake, on which the words EAT ME were beautifully mark...
What questions do I need to ask my doctor if I have loss of taste?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
Loss of taste can have a significant impact on quality of life, often leading to decreased appetite ...
Should I tell my doctor if I drink alcohol?
Many people aren't honest with their doctors about their drinking habits because they feel asham...
How to Have a Better Doctor Checkup
How to Have a Better Doctor Checkup