How can I steer my doctor's conversation away from my weight?

It is frustrating to have a doctor so focused on your weight that none of your other concerns are addressed. Your best bet to avoid a discussion about your weight is to start by saying, "I know I need to lose weight, but since we have a limited amount of time I would prefer to discuss other health concerns today." Then whip out your list and go for it... my libido is gone, my bladder is leaking... whatever it is. That way, the things that are important to you will be addressed as priorities. 

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Questions to Ask Your Surgeon
Questions to Ask Your Surgeon
In director John Hughes’s 1989 movie Uncle Buck, Buck (John Candy) is the last person you’d trust to babysit your kids. But a family emergency puts hi...
How much should I expect my doctor to educate me on breast cancer?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
The word ‘doctor’ comes from the Latin docere, meaning to teach. The medical profession has evolved ...
Why should I discuss embarrassing health problems with my doctor?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
At some point almost all of us will develop a personal health problem that is awkward to discuss...
Should I Tell My Doctor That I Don't Get Regular Health Screenings?