What questions should I ask when choosing a doctor?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology

Ask the following questions as you go through the process of choosing a physician:

1. Is the doctor board certified? This means that the doctor passed a standard exam given by the governing board in her specialty.

2. Where did the doctor go to medical school? Your local medical society can provide this information.

3. Is the doctor involved in any academic pursuits, such as teaching, writing or research? This doctor may be more up-to-date in the latest developments in his field.

4. Where does she have hospital privileges and where are these hospitals located? Some doctors may not admit patients to certain hospitals, and this is an important consideration for those with chronic health problems.

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

The Unofficial Guide to Conquering Impotence delivers the inside scoop on impotence: the truth about Viagra, what treatments really work, and how lifestyle changes can aid in conquering...
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
When considering a physician of any specialty make sure he or she is board certified in that specific field of medicine you require. Evaluate their credentials, specialty, experience and training, and hospital affiliations. If necessary, seek 2 if not 3 consultations before making final decisions.  Bring checklist of questions with you to each consultation and cross reference for pros and cons. 

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Do You Really Need That Test?
Do You Really Need That Test?
If your doctor says you need a medical test, such as an MRI for non-specific lower back pain that you’ve had for less than six weeks, a blood test for...
How can my doctor help in deciding what treatment I should have?
Your doctor and the other members of your medical team can help you weigh the risks and benefits of ...
How accessible should my breast cancer doctor be?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
The best oncologists and breast surgeons find ways for you to reach them when you need to, especiall...
What Are the Top Questions I Should Ask My Doctor?