How should I talk to my doctor about my medication?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
It's your job to tell your healthcare provider when you're not feeling okay. It's also your job to tell your provider when the side effects of medication interfere with your willingness to follow through on your treatment plan. Ask your healthcare provider for other medication options, discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each choice, and then make a decision based on this information. Although your medical provider may make suggestions regarding the medication regimen that's best for you, it's up to you to make the final decision.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

What to Tell Your Doctor When You're Sick
Here's a professional secret we want to share with you: We doctors depend on you as much as you depend on us to provide the best possible care. There'...
What is one way to improve my relationship with my doctor?
Jennifer N. Caudle, DOJennifer N. Caudle, DO
One way to improve your relationship with your doctor is simply to be honest. In this video, family ...
What questions do I need to ask my doctor if I have loss of taste?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
Loss of taste can have a significant impact on quality of life, often leading to decreased appetite ...
Why Won't My Doctor Listen to Me?
Why Won't My Doctor Listen to Me?