How do shared medical appointments (SMAs) work?

Everyone who participates in a shared medical appointment (SMA) agrees ahead of time to share their personal information with each other. People are put into groups according to their sex, age and type of diabetes. There is a moderator to keep the SMA on time. The moderator will discuss key medical information that relates to a topic that is brought up by someone in the group. A third staff person in the room is a scribe, or someone who takes notes. This person records what the doctor says to each person and takes care of any prescription or referral needs. 

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Do You Really Need That Test?
Do You Really Need That Test?
If your doctor says you need a medical test, such as an MRI for non-specific lower back pain that you’ve had for less than six weeks, a blood test for...
What are the top 10 things to remember before going to my doctor's office?
Whether it's your first visit with that physician or you've been seeing them for decades, one way to...
Why is good communication with your doctor important?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Have you ever been to a doctor’s office but left without fully understanding your medical conditions...
Why Should I Share My Medical History With My Doctors?