How do I know that my breast cancer doctor is listening to me?

Dede Bonner
Health Education
Nonjudgmental listening is the key to the most harmonious and effective doctor-patient relationships. An important attribute of a good doctor is that she not only gives answers, but she also asks you questions with a genuine, sincere interest in your answers.

When both parties are listening without bias, they are open to what the other says and thinks. The doctor shouldn’t have derided or belittled anything you said or asked.

Good listening skills include the following attributes:
• Maintaining eye contact with you
• Not interrupting you
• Leaning toward you while you talk
• Rephrasing what you said for clarity and understanding
• Asking about your feelings and reactions

The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing on cutting-edge...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

What to Tell Your Doctor When You're Sick
Here's a professional secret we want to share with you: We doctors depend on you as much as you depend on us to provide the best possible care. There'...
Why ask to see a plastic surgeon's before-and-after photos?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
It is vital to see many before and after photos from your plastic surgeon in order to evaluate the w...
When should I call the doctor about my child?
If you have worried about knowing when to call the doctor, you are not alone. Parents want to watch ...
Should I Tell My Doctor That I Don't Get Regular Health Screenings?