How can I improve communication with my doctor?

Below are some tips to better understand your health and improve communication with your doctor or other healthcare provider:
  • Ask questions when you do not understand what your doctor is saying.
  • Ask your doctor to write notes for you if you think you might forget his or her recommendations.
  • Keep a list of your medications (including over-the-counter and as-needed medications) and the reasons for taking them. If you have difficulty preparing this list, ask your doctor for help. Remember to bring all of your medications, including the prescription bottles, to help prepare the list.
  • Keep a list of your medical conditions, if possible.
  • Bring lists of your medications and medical conditions with you to each appointment, especially when you see a new doctor or if you go to the emergency room
Put your doctor to the test. Ask questions until you fully understand his or her answers. Better communication can lead to better care and outcomes.
Dawn Marcus
Neurology
You can improve communications with your healthcare provider -- even if she is a poor communicator. By using effective communication strategies yourself, you can vastly improve the exchange of information during your typical doctor visits. Plus, when you use effective communication strategies, it actually teaches your healthcare provider how to communicate more effectively with you and her other patients.

It's easy to get sidetracked or feel rushed during appointments and forget to share important information or ask key questions. Lists are terrific memory aids. As you prepare for a doctor visit, make a list of the information you want to share -- your most troublesome symptoms, any medications and other treatments you have tried and those you're still using, and any other key concerns. Be sure to include nonprescription medications and supplements in your list of medications, and note the dose for each. Also, include a list of questions that need to be answered and concerns you want addressed.
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Do You Really Need That Test?
Do You Really Need That Test?
If your doctor says you need a medical test, such as an MRI for non-specific lower back pain that you’ve had for less than six weeks, a blood test for...
What are the benefits of recording sessions with my breast cancer doctor?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Many of the best doctors believe that it’s a good idea for patients to tape-record their sessions wi...
How much should I expect my doctor to educate me on breast cancer?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
The word ‘doctor’ comes from the Latin docere, meaning to teach. The medical profession has evolved ...
How to Have a Better Doctor Checkup
How to Have a Better Doctor Checkup