How can I tell if my breast cancer doctor is truly interested in my care?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Communication experts tell us that most of us unconsciously read body language when we are talking with others. For example, you can probably tell when your children are getting restless, when your partner is grumpy, or when your mother-in- law wants to go home just by the way they sit, stand, or turn their bodies away from you.

The same happens in doctor-patient relationships. The clues may be subtle, but they are powerful. In fact, the same communication experts say that if we get mixed signals, such as if the doctor is saying nice things but looking bored, we unconsciously believe the body language signal more readily.

Gregory O. Dick, M.D., a reconstructive breast surgeon in Rockville, Maryland says, “If the doctor stands away from you in his starched white coat, or talks to you with a hand on the door handle on his way out, that tells you so much. You can tell that the doctor is sending the signal that they don’t think your questions are important or that they have more important things to do.”

The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing on cutting-edge...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

How to Talk To Your Doctor About Embarrassing Questions
Going to the doctor isn’t exactly fun -- and it can be downright uncomfortable if you’ve got an embarrassing body issue you’re nervous to ask about. B...
What information should I give my child’s doctor?
In order to best care for your child, the doctor will need to know a great deal of information inclu...
How much should I expect my doctor to educate me on breast cancer?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
The word ‘doctor’ comes from the Latin docere, meaning to teach. The medical profession has evolved ...
What Are the Top Questions I Should Ask My Doctor?