Can I expect my doctor to tell the truth about my illness?

Doctors in the U.S. tell the full truth of the diagnosis and prognosis, no matter how positive or negative it is. It's part of our creed here in the U.S.—while in some other countries this info may be withheld from patients (and patients know this, which is why there is great distrust).

Without a doubt, it can be difficult to give a patient bad news and still have them respect you and believe you're doing your ultimate best to help them. Some patients do hold a bad diagnosis against their doctor, and then they shop for a second opinion not to increase the accuracy of their diagnosis, but simply to hear the news that they want to hear from a doctor (or alternative medicine practitioner) who will willingly contradict their first physician. And guess what? If they ask enough doctors and practitioners, they'll find someone who will tell them exactly what they want to hear, whether it's true or ethical or dangerous or not.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before You Take an Opioid
When Alice (in Wonderland) spied a little glass box, “she opened it and found in it a very small cake, on which the words EAT ME were beautifully mark...
How can I effectively communicate with my doctor?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
To help you communicate effectively with your doctor, gather the following information before making...
What should I ask I'm diagnosed with a life-threatening illness?
There are many questions you need to ask whenever you receive a medical diagnosis. However, when tha...
How to Have a Better Doctor Checkup
How to Have a Better Doctor Checkup