Can I expect my doctor to tell the truth about my illness?

Doctors in the U.S. tell the full truth of the diagnosis and prognosis, no matter how positive or negative it is. It's part of our creed here in the U.S.—while in some other countries this info may be withheld from patients (and patients know this, which is why there is great distrust).

Without a doubt, it can be difficult to give a patient bad news and still have them respect you and believe you're doing your ultimate best to help them. Some patients do hold a bad diagnosis against their doctor, and then they shop for a second opinion not to increase the accuracy of their diagnosis, but simply to hear the news that they want to hear from a doctor (or alternative medicine practitioner) who will willingly contradict their first physician. And guess what? If they ask enough doctors and practitioners, they'll find someone who will tell them exactly what they want to hear, whether it's true or ethical or dangerous or not.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Is Your Hospital Treating You Right?
Is Your Hospital Treating You Right?
Hospitals across America are trying something new: Giving patients—and their loved ones—the red carpet treatment you’d expect from a fancy restaurant ...
Should I tell my doctor if I have multiple sex partners?
Many people aren't honest with their doctors about their sex lives because they feel  ashamed. F...
6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor
6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor
Get the answers you need to take control of your health. Your healthcare provider is a wealth of knowledge, brimming with information to share with yo...
What Are the Top Questions I Should Ask My Doctor?