How comfortable should I feel in working with my breast cancer doctor?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Comfort level, like trust, is a highly subjective perception. You need a doctor whom you can relax with, have good vibes about, and who treats you with respect. Your doctor should seem interested in you as a person, not just your disease or symptoms.

A doctor’s manner is as important as his answers to your questions. Could you confide sensitive information to him? Part of your comfort level comes from your trust in his skills and knowledge. The other part comes from your sense of how nurturing this person is. If you aren’t comfortable talking to your doctor, you’ll be less than honest about issues that need real attention.

You may have to decide what is more important to you - the doctor who went to the top medical school or the doctor with the best bedside manner. Just don’t err on the side of falling for a great personality with nothing between the ears.

The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing on cutting-edge...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before You Take an Opioid
When Alice (in Wonderland) spied a little glass box, “she opened it and found in it a very small cake, on which the words EAT ME were beautifully mark...
How can I avoid feeling rushed in the doctor's office?
If you have a lot to discuss during a particular visit, tell the office receptionist so he or she ca...
What questions should I ask my doctor about medications for dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
There are some important questions to ask the doctor if you are caring for a person with dementia. D...
Why Won't My Doctor Listen to Me?
Why Won't My Doctor Listen to Me?