How do I make my child comfortable with going to the doctor?

We realize that this may be nearly impossible, but try not to make your child's first doctor appointment an unpleasant one that involves a needle or a depository or some equally less-than-fun event. Just as if their first dentist appointment involved a root canal, they might take a frowning view of visiting in the future.

Make their first association with doctors be a lollipop, not a rubella shot. Please emphasize that the visit isn't punishment for breaking the vase. Give them a special treat after the appointment. It'll prevent tears on everyone's part.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Do’s and Don’ts for Emailing Your Doctor
You can order a pizza, a latte, movie tickets or your next car online…so why is it so darned hard to email your doc? According to a new report, doctor...
How can I get information from my doctor about my illness?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If you want information about your illness, treatment, or coverage, ask for clarification from your ...
What should I ask my surgeon during my pre-surgery exam?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
During the examination, find out about the preferred method of surgery. Is the surgeon current in ...
Why Won't My Doctor Listen to Me?
Why Won't My Doctor Listen to Me?