When should I call my doctor after having surgery?

Call your doctor if you have any of these signs of infection:

• Ongoing red bleeding from your incision. (It’s normal to have a small amount of bloody discharge—but not red bleeding—at home.)
  • Redness, swelling, separation, odor, or yellowish drainage from your incision.
  • Fever of 100.4°F (38.0°C) or greater.
  • Flu-like symptoms (for example, chills, body aches, fatigue, or headache).
  • Increase in pain or pain medication that isn’t working.

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

How to Talk To Your Doctor About Embarrassing Questions
Going to the doctor isn’t exactly fun -- and it can be downright uncomfortable if you’ve got an embarrassing body issue you’re nervous to ask about. B...
What tips should I keep in mind while talking to my doctor?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopaedic surgeon Dr. Vonda Wright shares tips every patient should keep In mind while talking to ...
How should I talk to my doctor about sensitive health problems?
Saint Agnes Medical CenterSaint Agnes Medical Center
To talk to your doctor about sensitive health problems, try these five easy steps: Understand th...
Why Won't My Doctor Listen to Me?
Why Won't My Doctor Listen to Me?