When should I call my doctor after having surgery?

Call your doctor if you have any of these signs of infection:

• Ongoing red bleeding from your incision. (It’s normal to have a small amount of bloody discharge—but not red bleeding—at home.)
  • Redness, swelling, separation, odor, or yellowish drainage from your incision.
  • Fever of 100.4°F (38.0°C) or greater.
  • Flu-like symptoms (for example, chills, body aches, fatigue, or headache).
  • Increase in pain or pain medication that isn’t working.

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

How to Talk To Your Doctor About Embarrassing Questions
Going to the doctor isn’t exactly fun -- and it can be downright uncomfortable if you’ve got an embarrassing body issue you’re nervous to ask about. B...
When should I call the doctor?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call or go to the doctor or clinic for: A lump, anywhere on your body, that won't go awayLosing we...
How comfortable should I feel in working with my breast cancer doctor?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Comfort level, like trust, is a highly subjective perception. You need a doctor whom you can relax w...
Should I Tell My Doctor That I Don't Get Regular Health Screenings?