How can I determine if my breast cancer doctor spent enough time with me?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

This is a tricky one, because everyone’s perception of ‘enough time’ is different. What matters is how you personally feel about the visit. A good doctor doesn’t make you feel rushed. She gives you undivided attention.

As Jennifer Armstrong, M.D., a breast cancer medical oncologist with Paoli Hematology Oncology Associates in Paoli, Pennsylvania, comments, “What one patient sees as a negative—for example, feeling rushed in and out—might be seen as a positive by another patient who has a tight schedule and not many questions. Notice how long your wait was, how long other patients were waiting, and compare your wait to how long your visit was. You should feel you had enough time with your doctor.”

The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing on cutting-edge...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Do’s and Don’ts for Emailing Your Doctor
You can order a pizza, a latte, movie tickets or your next car online…so why is it so darned hard to email your doc? According to a new report, doctor...
How should I prepare for my child's doctor appointment?
It is best to inform and prepare your child for any visit to the doctor. Reassure your child by expl...
How should I talk to my doctor about sensitive health problems?
Saint Agnes Medical CenterSaint Agnes Medical Center
To talk to your doctor about sensitive health problems, try these five easy steps: Understand th...
Why Won't My Doctor Listen to Me?
Why Won't My Doctor Listen to Me?