What are the benefits of recording sessions with my breast cancer doctor?

Dede Bonner
Health Education
Many of the best doctors believe that it’s a good idea for patients to tape-record their sessions with their doctor, even if they bring a loved one with them to take notes. Some oncologists think that taping is likely to protect them legally as well as help their patients be better informed.

This is especially true when you are reviewing your pathology report with its many confusing new terms and details. Not only can you go back and review the tape later, but there’s less pressure on the loved one tasked with taking notes. He is nervous and upset, too, and may miss writing down crucial parts of what the doctor tells you.

The added benefit of tape-recording your medical sessions is that it’s another measure of how capable this doctor or surgeon really is. As breast cancer guru Dr. Susan Love says, “You have to worry if the doctor is nervous about having a tape recorder. What’s he afraid of? If he’s afraid that he’s going to get sued by something that he said, then he’s not very confident about what he thinks.”

The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing on cutting-edge...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

How to Talk To Your Doctor About Embarrassing Questions
Going to the doctor isn’t exactly fun -- and it can be downright uncomfortable if you’ve got an embarrassing body issue you’re nervous to ask about. B...
How can I effectively communicate with my doctor?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
To help you communicate effectively with your doctor, gather the following information before making...
What should I ask I'm diagnosed with a life-threatening illness?
There are many questions you need to ask whenever you receive a medical diagnosis. However, when tha...
Should I Tell My Doctor That I Don't Get Regular Health Screenings?