How accessible should my breast cancer doctor be?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

The best oncologists and breast surgeons find ways for you to reach them when you need to, especially in the beginning of your cancer journey, when there are so many unknowns, fears, and decisions to make. In some large medical practices or cancer centers, doctors share their off-hours duties with partners or have an answering service. Some doctors encourage you to use e-mail or their cell phones after hours. How does this doctor handle his patients after hours? How sincere was he in offering after-hours assistance?

Marti Ann Schwartz, a longtime cancer survivor, patient advocate, and author from Marietta, Georgia, tells her story of finding out the hard way about doctors’ office arrangements. “When I was first diagnosed, I saw a doctor who was just sharing the office. I didn’t realize the difference, and it was a totally different experience. Make sure the other doctors in the practice are in the same specialty, too.”

The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing on cutting-edge...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Do’s and Don’ts for Emailing Your Doctor
You can order a pizza, a latte, movie tickets or your next car online…so why is it so darned hard to email your doc? According to a new report, doctor...
Who should speak to my doctor after surgery?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
It is beneficial to designate one family member or friend to maintain communication with your surgeo...
Should I tell my doctor if I drink alcohol?
Many people aren't honest with their doctors about their drinking habits because they feel asham...
Should I Tell My Doctor That I Don't Get Regular Health Screenings?