Should I talk to my doctor about my subjective tinnitus symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Practitioner

If you hear ringing, buzzing, or other noises in one or both ears, you should talk to your doctor. If the cause can be found, you may be able to treat it and stop the noise. For example, hearing loss can cause subjective tinnitus, and about half of patients find that simply getting a hearing aid or other treatment alleviates the tinnitus. If excess earwax is causing the tinnitus, removing it can help.

More rarely, tinnitus can be caused by a serious problem such as an infection or tumor. A doctor can run tests to find out for sure. Some medications can cause tinnitus, so your doctor may recommend changing to a different medicine.

Continue Learning about Tinnitus

What to Do About Ringing in the Ears
What to Do About Ringing in the Ears
Tinnitus is a continuous or pulsating sound only you can hear; it’s often described as ringing, hissing, static, screeching, whooshing, roaring, or bu...
Read More
Why do I hear a heartbeat in my ears?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
If you hear a pulse-like noise in your ears, it may be pulsatile tinnitus. This is a rare condition ...
More Answers
What is tinnitus?
Dr. David M. Vernick, MDDr. David M. Vernick, MD
Many people with hearing loss also have tinnitus, commonly known as ringing in the ear. This phrase ...
More Answers
How does tinnitus relate to an ear injury?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
Tinnitus is the medical term for ringing of the ears and is the sensation that you are hearing somet...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.