How is pulsatile tinnitus diagnosed?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

To diagnose pulsatile tinnitus, your doctor will ask questions to find out whether the noise you hear in your ears coincides with your heartbeat - the defining symptom of pulsatile tinnitus.

Your doctor will also examine your ears, check your hearing, and listen to your pulse with a stethoscope. You may also need an angiogram or other imaging test to look for problems with your blood vessels.

Continue Learning about Tinnitus

What to Do About Ringing in the Ears
What to Do About Ringing in the Ears
Tinnitus is a continuous or pulsating sound only you can hear; it’s often described as ringing, hissing, static, screeching, whooshing, roaring, or bu...
How is tinnitus diagnosed?
A visit to an ENT doctor may be helpful in understanding tinnitus.  While it’s hard to eliminate tin...
Why do I hear a heartbeat in my ears?
If you hear a pulse-like noise in your ears, it may be pulsatile tinnitus. This is a rare condition ...
How is tinnitus treated?
Doctors usually aim tinnitus treatments at finding the root cause of the problem. If your tinnitus i...