Are there any alternative treatments for tinnitus?

Most people with tinnitus complain that the noise they constantly hear is bothering them. It can annoy them, and it can also keep them from getting proper rest and sleep. To help people deal with this noise, doctors may suggest that they surround themselves with white noise, or common, pleasant sounds. For instance, there are CDs of nature sounds that sufferers might try. In addition, people with tinnitus can try to manage the disorder by avoiding smoking and alcohol, as both of these substances include ingredients that are thought to make tinnitus symptoms more severe. Ginkgo biloba may be helpful, but the evidence is not solid. Learning to manage the stress that comes with the persistent noise is also an effective treatment. Relaxation techniques are believed to help.

Continue Learning about Tinnitus

What to Do About Ringing in the Ears
What to Do About Ringing in the Ears
Tinnitus is a continuous or pulsating sound only you can hear; it’s often described as ringing, hissing, static, screeching, whooshing, roaring, or bu...
What does pulsatile tinnitus mean?
Tinnitus means "a noise or ringing in the ears." Pulsatile refers to the pulse, or heartbeat. Pulsat...
Why do I hear a heartbeat in my ears?
If you hear a pulse-like noise in your ears, it may be pulsatile tinnitus. This is a rare condition ...
How to Diagnose Tinnitus
How to Diagnose Tinnitus