Who should take Synthroid?

Synthroid is a manufactured form of the hormone levothyroxine that is normally made by the thyroid. When someone has a thyroid gland that is not working as well as it should, as in hypothyroidism, they should take Synthroid (or a similar drug) to replace the levothyroxine lacking in their body.

Synthroid may also be used to treat goiters, thyroid nodules, and some thyroid cancers. In these situations, an excessive amount of thyroid tissue occurs diffusely (goiters) or in smaller areas (nodules and cancers). This tissue is often stimulated to grow by high levels of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). Giving levothyroxine will decrease the amount of TSH produced by the body, which often leads to shrinkage of these goiters, nodules, and cancers.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?