Who should not take Synthroid?

You should not take Synthroid if you allergic to any of the inactive ingredients in Synthroid tablets. You cannot be allergic to the active ingredient, levothyroxine, because it is a natural hormone normally produced by the body. Because of Synthroid’s possible effects on the heart, you should not take it if you have had a recent heart attack (acute myocardial infarction).

Synthroid should also not be taken if you have a form of hyperthyroidism called thyrotoxicosis, because your body definitely does not need to have more thyroid hormone added to it. Sometimes thyrotoxicosis will be obvious from your symptoms; sometimes it is not, but blood tests will be able to detect whether it is present.

Synthroid should also be avoided in people who have a condition called adrenal insufficiency, if it has not been treated. In this condition, the adrenal gland is not producing enough of its hormones, and giving Synthroid can make the condition worse.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?