What is thyroid (Armour Thyroid)?

Thyroid (Armour Thyroid) is a dried or desiccated combination of hormones, usually produced by your thyroid gland. These hormones regulate your body's metabolism and energy. The medication is used to treat hypothyroidism and to prevent and treat goiter, which is an enlarged thyroid gland. Armour Thyroid is also used in medical tests for thyroid disorders. Dosage depends on a number of factors, and tests will indicate the dosage needed for your condition.
The thyroid gland is one of the body's most important endocrine organs. It is located in the neck just below the thyroid cartilage (Adam's apple) and cricoid cartilage. Although its size can vary, based on each individual's size and iodine intake, the thyroid generally weighs approximately 15-20 grams (1/2 - 3/4 oz.). It is composed of a right and left lobe which lie on either side of the trachea (windpipe). Each lobe is normally approximately the size of a small orange slice. The right and left lobes are connected by a thin strip of thyroid tissue called the isthmus. Adjacent structures include the esophagus (food pipe) and the carotid artery (within the carotid sheath), which is the main blood supply to the head and neck. 

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?