What is Synthroid (levothyroxine)?

Synthroid is the prescription drug levothyroxine. It is the manufactured form of levothyroxine, which is a hormone normally made by the thyroid gland. Levothyroxine functions to regulate the body’s metabolism and energy. Synthroid is often used to treat hypothyroidism, a condition in which a person does not produce enough levothyroxine on their own.

Synthroid may also be used to treat goiters, thyroid nodules, and some thyroid cancer. These are conditions where there is an excessive growth of thyroid tissue, either diffusely (goiters) or in smaller areas (nodules and cancers). This excessive growth is often stimulated by high levels of another hormone, called thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). Giving levothyroxine can decrease the amount of TSH produced, which in turn can lead to a reduction in size of goiters, thyroid nodules and cancers.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?