What is Liotrix?

Liotrix is a combination of two synthetic (man-made) thyroid medications. It contains levothyroxine (T4) and liothyronine (T3). Liotrix is available only under the brand name Thyrolar. It is a prescription medication for the treatment of hypothyroidism or insufficient production of the natural thyroid hormones by the body. This medication provides the thyroid hormones that are missing. Occasionally, this medication is also used to diagnose a case of mild hyperthyroidism, or overactive thyroid production, or to treat goiter.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?