What is a thyroid nodule?

A thyroid nodule is a growth within the thyroid gland. Thyroid nodules are extremely common, and can be seen in 5 to 10% of women and 1 to 5% of men. Studies have shown that the chance of having a thyroid nodule increases with increasing age and that up to 60% of women over the age of 60 years may have a thyroid nodule.

Thyroid nodules are growths in the thyroid. Thyroid nodules are very common and occur in up to 15 to 30% of the US population. Like most thyroid diseases, they are more common among women than men. In addition, the chance of having a thyroid nodule increases with age and by the time a woman is 60, there is a 60% chance that she will have a thyroid nodule.

The most important questions to ask when a thyroid nodule is discovered are:

1. is the patient hyperthyroid (i.e. do they have too much thyroid hormone in their body)? and
  2. is this a cancer?

Fortunately, most thyroid nodules are benign (i.e. not cancer) and non-functional (i.e. not causing hyperthyroidism). Only 5 to 10% of thyroid nodules will end up being cancer.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?