How does Levoxyl treat Hashimoto's disease?

Levoxyl treats Hashimoto's disease (also called chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) by suppressing the pituitary gland's secretion of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH). In cases when Hashimoto's disease results in low thyroid levels, Levoxyl acts in place of the deficient thyroid hormone. Levoxyl is chemically the same as natural thyroxine, the thyroid hormone. The medication brings thyroid hormone up to functioning levels, and the symptoms of low thyroid hormone levels reverse.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?