What should I know about levothyroxine before taking it?

Before you take levothyroxine tell your doctor if you have a serious thyroid disorder, heart disease, coronary artery disease, diabetes, anemia, problems with your pituitary or adrenal glands, a history of blood clots, if you have recently had a heart attack, or if you are having any symptoms of a heart attack such as chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, sweating, general ill feeling, and/or nausea.

Levothyroxine is a replacement for a hormone that is normally produced by your thyroid gland to regulate the body's energy and metabolism. Levothyroxine is given when the thyroid does not produce enough of this hormone on its own. It's very important to follow your physician's orders when taking this medication and do not abruptly stop taking it.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?