How should I take Synthroid?

The manufacturer says that you should take Synthroid one to two hours before food. If that upsets your stomach, then take it with food but always take it the same way and around the same time everyday. That way you will have consistent blood levels of the drug in your body. And go to your doctor regularly for blood testing to be sure that you are getting just the right amount of Synthroid.

Synthroid is a tablet which is taken by mouth. You should take it with a full glass of water to help swallow it quickly. This is important because Synthroid dissolves rapidly and if it is still in the throat when it dissolves, swelling may occur, which can lead to choking and gagging. Synthroid should be taken when your stomach is empty, preferably 30 to 60 minutes before breakfast.

You should always take the exact dose that your doctor orders. You also should take it for as long as your doctor recommends. If you are taking Synthroid for an underactive thyroid, you may need to take it for the rest of your life. You will need to have regular blood tests to check the levels of levothyroxine in your blood, so your doctor can adjust your dose of Synthroid if necessary.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?