What should I avoid while taking Synthroid?

While you are taking Synthroid, you should avoid foods that can interfere with its absorption, thus making it less effective. These foods include walnuts, cotton seed meal, soy (including infant soy formula), and anything which is high in fiber. You should also avoid changing brands of levothyroxine or switching to a generic version if possible. This is because different preparations can work differently. If you must change, you should let your doctor know so that he can order blood tests to determine whether you are receiving the correct dose of the new drug.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?