What should I expect from a biopsy for my thyroid cysts?

Thyroid cysts are usually diagnosed with a simple procedure called a fine needle aspiration biopsy. It only takes a few minutes. Your doctor will insert a very thin needle through your skin and into the thyroid nodule or lump. The needle draws out a small sample of cells and fluid. More than one sample is often needed. The sample is then examined under a microscope, usually by a specialist known as a pathologist, to check for cancer cells. By ruling out cancer, this test can confirm that your thyroid cyst is benign and not serious.

Continue Learning about Thyroid

Treatment Options for Thyroid Eye Disease
Thyroid eye disease (TED) is a condition that affects people who have hyperthyroidism. When a person has hyperthyroidism, the thyroid gland located in...
What are thyroid cysts?
A thyroid cyst is a fluid collection lined by epithelial cells. This may be a part of a larger struc...
What is the thyroid gland?
The thyroid gland is located in the neck, just below the "Adam's apple." It is shaped like an "H...
What Your Temperature Says About Your Thyroid