What effects does thyroid hormone have?

Thyroid hormone has a number of different effects. Overall, the thyroid can be thought of as controlling the body's metabolism. Thyroid hormone increases the heart rate and how forcefully the heart squeezes. It also affects how fast food moves through your GI tract, bone loss and how fast sugar is made and used up in the body. All of these effects are increased in patients who have hyperactive thyroids (hyperthyroidism) and decreased in underactive thyroids (hypothyroidism). 
Thyroid hormone helps control the body's metabolic rate. There are times when the thyroid produces too much or too little thyroid hormone. For example if the thyroid is hyperactive a person may experience a fast heartbeat, weight loss and feelings of anxiety, while a low thyroid can cause weight gain, dry skin and possibly fatigue or depression. A healthcare provider can test the thyroid with a blood test if any of these symptoms occur.

Continue Learning about Thyroid

Why Do Women Get Thyroid Nodules?
Why Do Women Get Thyroid Nodules?
Is Thyroid Cancer Caused by Environmental Issues?
How Can I Tell If My Thyroid Gland Is Working Properly?
How Do I Choose Treatment for My Thyroid Cancer?