What effects does thyroid hormone have?

Thyroid hormone helps control the body's metabolic rate. There are times when the thyroid produces too much or too little thyroid hormone. For example if the thyroid is hyperactive a person may experience a fast heartbeat, weight loss and feelings of anxiety, while a low thyroid can cause weight gain, dry skin and possibly fatigue or depression. A healthcare provider can test the thyroid with a blood test if any of these symptoms occur.
Thyroid hormone has a number of different effects. Overall, the thyroid can be thought of as controlling the body's metabolism. Thyroid hormone increases the heart rate and how forcefully the heart squeezes. It also affects how fast food moves through your GI tract, bone loss and how fast sugar is made and used up in the body. All of these effects are increased in patients who have hyperactive thyroids (hyperthyroidism) and decreased in underactive thyroids (hypothyroidism). 

Continue Learning about Thyroid

How common are colloid thyroid nodules?
Benign colloid thyroid nodules are fairly common, especially in older adults. Many people do not eve...
Should I have my thyroid checked if I can't lose weight?
It is worth having your thyroid checked if you can't lose weight, especially if there are associated...
What Your Temperature Says About Your Thyroid
How to Find Your Thyroid Gland
How to Find Your Thyroid Gland