What causes thyroid cysts?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Nobody knows for sure what causes thyroid cysts or thyroid nodules (lumps) in general. Some experts think that people who do not get enough iodine in their diets might be more susceptible to thyroid nodules. Also, people with a condition known as Hashimoto's disease, which is characterized by inflammation and underactivity of the thyroid gland; people with a genetic defect; and people with a history of radiation to the head or neck might be at increased risk for thyroid nodules.

Continue Learning about Thyroid

Treatment Options for Thyroid Eye Disease
Thyroid eye disease (TED) is a condition that affects people who have hyperthyroidism. When a person has hyperthyroidism, the thyroid gland located in...
What is the thyroid gland?
The thyroid gland is located in the neck, just below the "Adam's apple." It is shaped like an "H...
Why is iodine important for the thyroid gland?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
The thyroid gland uses iodine from the diet to make thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormone is stored in th...
How Can I Tell If My Thyroid Gland Is Working Properly?