What do I need to know about caring for someone with thyroid cysts?

Thyroid cysts are usually not serious, so if you are caring for someone who has them, you probably do not need to do more than keep an eye out in case the cysts grow larger or other symptoms appear. You should be sure that the person you are caring for has the cysts checked by a doctor on a regular basis, such as every six or twelve months. You should also contact a doctor if the cysts become larger. A large cyst that presses against other parts of the neck might cause difficulty swallowing or breathing or make the person's voice hoarse, but this is rare.

Continue Learning about Thyroid

What is thyroxine (t4)?
Marina JohnsonMarina Johnson
I’m an endocrinologist – a hormone specialist – and you need to understand about the different types...
How common are colloid thyroid nodules?
Benign colloid thyroid nodules are fairly common, especially in older adults. Many people do not eve...
Dr. Aviva Romm Explains 2 Thyroid Triggers
How Do I Recognize a Thyroid Disease in My Child or Adolescent?