What are thyroid cysts?

A thyroid cyst is a fluid collection lined by epithelial cells. This may be a part of a larger structure that would be concerning for cancer. 

Thyroid cysts are fluid-filled sacs that can develop in the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is a small organ in the neck that secretes hormones that regulate the speed of chemical processes in the body (known as the metabolic rate). Thyroid cysts, a type of thyroid nodule or lump, are usually fairly small, ranging in size from less than a third of an inch across to an inch across, or larger in rare cases. The fluid-filled cysts are usually benign or noncancerous, but occasionally they contain solid material in addition to the fluid, and this may be cause for concern.

Continue Learning about Thyroid

What should I expect from a biopsy for my thyroid cysts?
Thyroid cysts are usually diagnosed with a simple procedure called a fine needle aspiration biopsy. ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with thyroid cysts?
Thyroid cysts are usually not serious, so if you are caring for someone who has them, you probably d...
What Are Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?
How to Find Your Thyroid Gland
How to Find Your Thyroid Gland