What are thyroid cysts?

A thyroid cyst is a fluid collection lined by epithelial cells. This may be a part of a larger structure that would be concerning for cancer. 

Thyroid cysts are fluid-filled sacs that can develop in the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is a small organ in the neck that secretes hormones that regulate the speed of chemical processes in the body (known as the metabolic rate). Thyroid cysts, a type of thyroid nodule or lump, are usually fairly small, ranging in size from less than a third of an inch across to an inch across, or larger in rare cases. The fluid-filled cysts are usually benign or noncancerous, but occasionally they contain solid material in addition to the fluid, and this may be cause for concern.

Continue Learning about Thyroid

Should I talk to my doctor about my thyroid cyst symptoms?
Although most thyroid cysts are not serious, you should talk to your doctor about your symptoms. You...
What increases my risk for colloid thyroid nodules?
If you do not get enough iodine in your diet, you may be at risk for developing colloid thyroid nodu...
What Is Thyroid Disease?
What Is Thyroid Disease?
What Is Thyroid Cancer?
What Is Thyroid Cancer?