What increases my risk for colloid thyroid nodules?

If you do not get enough iodine in your diet, you may be at risk for developing colloid thyroid nodules, but this is rare in the United States and most of Western Europe. Other risk factors include genetics and autoimmune disorders that affect the thyroid. If you received radiation treatment on your neck as a child or have been exposed to radiation somehow, you may also be at risk.

Continue Learning about Thyroid

How can I tell if my thyroid gland is working properly?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Both an underactive and overactive thyroid gland can cause symptoms. If you are experiencing symptom...
What is thyroglobulin?
Thyroglobulin (Tg) is a protein made by the thyroid that carries thyroid hormone. The thyroid gland ...
Dr. Aviva Romm Explains the Thy-Gap
Dr. Aviva Romm Explains the Thy-Gap
What Are Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?