How does my thyroid affect my metabolism?

Your thyroid gland can affect your metabolism by increasing your metabolism if it is overactive, or slowing down your metabolism if it is underactive.
Your thyroid acts as a metabolic thermostat. It releases hormones that play a major role in controlling your body’s temperature and the rate that your body burns calories. When your thyroid is working at its max, your metabolism will be sky-high. If your thyroid’s function is impaired, the metabolic rate slows down and leads to weight gain. The key to keeping your thyroid working hard is in eating good carbs, like whole grains, root vegetables and beans. Believe it or not, studies have shown that cutting out carbs from your diet completely can reduce thyroid function by 50%. So, make sure to keep complex carbs in your diet.

Continue Learning about Thyroid

Do thyroid cysts affect children differently than adults?
Thyroid cysts are a type of thyroid nodule or lump, and children develop thyroid nodules less often ...
What nutrients are important for a healthy thyroid?
Susan S. Blum, MDSusan S. Blum, MD
Functional medicine expert Dr. Susan Blum discusses the nutrients that are important for optimal...
How to Find Your Thyroid Gland
How to Find Your Thyroid Gland
Are Thyroid Disorders Serious?
Are Thyroid Disorders Serious?