Should I have my thyroid checked if I can't lose weight?

It is worth having your thyroid checked if you can't lose weight, especially if there are associated symptoms such as fatigue, changes in hair or fingernails, or cold intolerance. A thyroid gland that is not functioning properly can cause weight gain or difficulty losing pounds. There are many reasons for not being able to lose weight. It is always best to begin by evaluating your diet and exercise level. 

If you eat right, exercise regularly, sleep well, and manage stress yet your jeans are still tight, a sluggish thyroid (known as hypothyroid) may be to blame. The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland at the base of your neck that produces hormones that control your metabolism. Ask your doctor for a simple blood test to check your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and free T3/T4 hormone levels. If yours are off, you may need thyroid medication.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Thyroid

How should I care for someone with colloid thyroid nodules?
Be sure someone with thyroid nodules is taking any medications as recommended by his or her doctor. ...
How does toxic goiter affect the body?
If you have toxic goiter, your thyroid is producing more hormones than your body needs. This can cau...
What Your Temperature Says About Your Thyroid
How Can I Tell If My Thyroid Gland Is Working Properly?