Will I have to take thyroid hormone after my thyroid surgery?

After a partial thyroidectomy or thyroid lobectomy, 15-30% of patients require thyroid hormone. To determine if you need long term thyroid hormone replacement, your doctor will check your thyroid hormone levels approximately 6-8 weeks after surgery.
If you had your entire thyroid removed, or a total thyroidectomy, you will need thyroid hormone replacement for the rest of your life. In most cases, this will be started immediately after thyroid surgery. Your doctor will check your thyroid hormone levels about 6-8 weeks after starting the medication to ensure the dose started is right for you.
If you have thyroid cancer then you will receive special instructions based on your specific situation from your surgeon and/or endocrinologist.
For more information go to endocrinediseases.org:
Diseases of thyroid function
Hypothyroidism: Treatment of Hypothyroidism
Thyroid Cancer: Papillary Thyroid Cancer (PTC): Treatment of PTC
Thyroid Surgery: Recovery
If your thyroid surgery requires complete removal of the thyroid gland, you will need to take replacement thyroid hormone for the rest of your life. Some thyroid surgeries only remove part of the gland. In this case, the remaining cells may be able to produce all the thyroid hormone needed by your body.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Know the Signs of Thyroid Issues
Know the Signs of Thyroid Issues
Your thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck, just below your Adam’s apple. The thyroid gland releases hormones that regul...
What Foods Should I Avoid If I Have an Underactive Thyroid?
Are Thyroid Disorders Serious?
Are Thyroid Disorders Serious?
Could a Thyroid Problem Make Me Feel Cold All the Time?