Will I have stitches that need to be removed after my thyroid surgery?

This depends on your thyroid surgeon. Some surgeons use small external stitches which are removed within a few days of surgery. Other surgeons use dissolvable stitches under the skin which do not require removal. Other surgeons may use glue in place of sutures.

You may have steri-strips, skin adhesive, or a dressing which needs to be removed at home. Please follow the instructions your surgeon sends home with you.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Know the Signs: Thyroid Disorders
Know the Signs: Thyroid Disorders
Your thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck, just below your Adam’s apple. The thyroid gland releases hormones that regul...
What increases the risk for thyroid problems?
Rose Medical CenterRose Medical Center
There are several factors that increase the risk for thyroid disease, including the following: Ge...
How often should I get my thyroid levels checked?
Thyroid levels are not routinely checked unless your doctor has clinical suspicion that there may be...
Thyroid Problems and Mysterious Sleep Noises