Will I have stitches that need to be removed after my thyroid surgery?

This depends on your thyroid surgeon. Some surgeons use small external stitches which are removed within a few days of surgery. Other surgeons use dissolvable stitches under the skin which do not require removal. Other surgeons may use glue in place of sutures.

You may have steri-strips, skin adhesive, or a dressing which needs to be removed at home. Please follow the instructions your surgeon sends home with you.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
The small butterfly-shaped endocrine gland at the bottom of your throat, otherwise known as the thyroid, is responsible for more of your body’s functi...
Are thyroid cysts or tumors common in children?
Harvey K. Chiu, MDHarvey K. Chiu, MD
Thyroid cysts and tumors are not common in children, but throughout life these are acquired such tha...
What is the rate of incidence for thyroid disorders?
The rate of incidence of thyroid disorders depends on the particular disorder. For example, as many ...
Could a Thyroid Problem Make Me Feel Cold All the Time?