Will I have a scar after thyroid surgery?

The standard scar from thyroid surgery is generally about 2 inches long and is located in the front of the neck. Most surgeons try to hide the scar in a skin crease. Practice does vary, so ask your surgeon where your scar will likely be and how large it will be.

If you are planning to have robotic thyroid surgery, the scar will be in the armpit, around the breast, along the breast bone, or behind the ear and may be slightly larger. Although some surgeons call this “scar-less”, the scar usually found on the neck is merely relocated to a less visible area of the body.

Like all surgeries, thyroid surgery causes scarring, and how the patient heals the scar is very much dependent on the individual. However, there are some techniques that surgeons use to minimize scarring. These techniques include: smaller incision size, careful incision placement, and hypoallergenic suture material (to avoid inflammation). As a general rule, you should not have a noticeable scar after six months.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Beware Before Taking Thyroid Supplements
When Alice, in Alice in Wonderland, downed the “Eat Me” pill, she immediately experienced the negative side effects of taking a med with unidentified ...
What are the most common types of thyroid problems?
Common types of thyroid problems include an underactive thyroid or an overactive thyroid. Common sig...
Can I still have thyroid disease even though my thyroid tests are normal?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
It is possible to have thyroid problems despite having normal thyroid function tests. If blood test ...
What Is a Thyroidectomy?
What Is a Thyroidectomy?