Will I have any restrictions after my thyroid surgery?

You should not drive or drink alcohol while taking narcotic pain medications. You should also not drive until your neck has comfortable, full range of motion.

You should not soak or scrub your incision for the first week or two after surgery, although you may shower and pat the area dry gently.

Generally, walking, stairs, and lifting objects are all fine after thyroid surgery. Most people return to work or routine activities within 1-2 weeks of surgery.

For more information go to endocrinediseases.org:

Diseases of thyroid function

Thyroid Surgery: Recovery

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Your Thyroid: What You Need to Know
Your Thyroid: What You Need to Know
It’s shaped like a butterfly and makes hormones that regulate how fast your heart beats and how many calories your body burns. It’s your thyroid, and ...
What foods should I avoid if I have an underactive thyroid?
In general, there are no particular foods to avoid if you have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidis...
Will I have stitches that need to be removed after my thyroid surgery?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
This depends on your thyroid surgeon. Some surgeons use small external stitches which are removed wi...
What Is Thyroid Hormone?
What Is Thyroid Hormone?