Will I have any restrictions after my thyroid surgery?

You should not drive or drink alcohol while taking narcotic pain medications. You should also not drive until your neck has comfortable, full range of motion.

You should not soak or scrub your incision for the first week or two after surgery, although you may shower and pat the area dry gently.

Generally, walking, stairs, and lifting objects are all fine after thyroid surgery. Most people return to work or routine activities within 1-2 weeks of surgery.

For more information go to endocrinediseases.org:

Diseases of thyroid function

Thyroid Surgery: Recovery

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Your Thyroid: What You Need to Know
Your Thyroid: What You Need to Know
It’s shaped like a butterfly and makes hormones that regulate how fast your heart beats and how many calories your body burns. It’s your thyroid, and ...
What foods should I eat if I have an underactive thyroid?
To restart an underactive thyroid, turn to Dr. Oz’s Thyroid Power Combo of iodized salt and sele...
Low Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome Fatigue
Low Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome Fatigue
Plus a common hypothyroidism myth, busted. When it’s working properly, your thyroid—a hormone-producing gland at the base of your throat—is an unsung ...
What Foods Should I Avoid If I Have an Underactive Thyroid?