Why do women get thyroid nodules?

Thyroid nodules are growths in the thyroid. Nodules are quite common and occur in 15-30% of the US population. Similarly to many other thyroid conditions, thyroid nodules are more common in women than in men due to the differing levels of hormone production in the body. 

Women are prone to autoimmune disorders such as thyroid problems but vitamin D may be effective in reducing these problems.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
The small butterfly-shaped endocrine gland at the bottom of your throat, otherwise known as the thyroid, is responsible for more of your body’s functi...
What foods should I eat if I have an underactive thyroid?
Natasha Turner, NDNatasha Turner, ND
Some foods that can increase the activity of your thyroid include sources of vitamin A (sweet potato...
What does a benign pathology result for a thyroid nodule mean?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A benign pathology result for a thyroid nodule means that the nodule is not a cancer. Most thyroid n...
Are Thyroid Conditions Often Undiagnosed?