When can I return to normal activity after thyroid surgery?

After thyroid surgery most people are back to work and normal activity within a week of surgery. You will have some soreness in your neck but in general there are no restrictions to activity following thyroid surgery.

In general, after thyroid surgery, your activity level depends on the amount of discomfort you experience. Many patients have resumed golf or tennis within a week after the operation. Most patients are able to return to work within the first or second week of surgery, and you are able to drive as soon as your head can be turned comfortably. You should restrain from driving if you are taking narcotics for pain control (this limitation is for driver safety). You must see your surgeon for a routine follow-up office visit two to three weeks after surgery.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
The small butterfly-shaped endocrine gland at the bottom of your throat, otherwise known as the thyroid, is responsible for more of your body’s functi...
How are nodules in the thyroid found?
Dr. James Lee, MDDr. James Lee, MD
Although many thyroid nodules can be felt by the patient or by a doctor during physical examination,...
What does a benign pathology result for a thyroid nodule mean?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A benign pathology result for a thyroid nodule means that the nodule is not a cancer. Most thyroid n...
What Foods Should I Eat If I Have an Underactive Thyroid?