What are the side effects of thyroid surgery?

The most common side effect of thyroid surgery is hypothyroidism where the thyroid does not produce enough thyroid hormone. After thyroid surgery most people will need to take thyroid medication daily to increase the levels of thyroid hormone to a normal range.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Your Thyroid: What You Need to Know
Your Thyroid: What You Need to Know
It’s shaped like a butterfly and makes hormones that regulate how fast your heart beats and how many calories your body burns. It’s your thyroid, and ...
Should I get tested for thyroid dysfunction?
James Lee, MDJames Lee, MD
Thyroid disorders are very common in the United States, over 20 million people currently receive tre...
What medications will I need after thyroid surgery?
Oak Hill HospitalOak Hill Hospital
When it comes to a complete thyroidectomy, patients will need a thyroid-replacing medication for the...
What Foods Should I Avoid If I Have an Underactive Thyroid?