What is autoimmune thyroiditis?

Autoimmune thyroiditis is also known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, and is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in areas where people get enough iodine in the diet (for example, North America and most of Europe). The majority of patients with Hashimoto's have antibodies to thyroglobulin (Anti-TG Ab) and/or thyroid peroxidase (Anti-TPO Ab). These antibodies cause destruction of thyroid cells which leads to fewer cells making thyroid hormone. Risk factors for Hashimoto's thyroiditis include female gender, personal history of other autoimmune diseases, and a family history of autoimmune thyroiditis or other autoimmune diseases.  AAES Admin as American Association of Endocrine Surgeons website.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
The small butterfly-shaped endocrine gland at the bottom of your throat, otherwise known as the thyroid, is responsible for more of your body’s functi...
What foods should I eat if I have an underactive thyroid?
Natasha Turner, NDNatasha Turner, ND
Some foods that can increase the activity of your thyroid include sources of vitamin A (sweet potato...
Will I have a scar after thyroid surgery?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
The standard scar from thyroid surgery is generally about 2 inches long and is located in the front ...
Are Thyroid Disorders Serious?
Are Thyroid Disorders Serious?