The patient can usually eat and drink normally the night of the procedure. The incision is usually closed with absorbable sutures and surgical tape or glue. A light bandage that may be placed in the operating room should be removed the following morning. Patients may shower the next morning and get the incision wet but should not soak it in water (no soaking in a tub or swimming) for one week.
- Q What happens to the thyroid tissue that’s removed in thyroid surgery?
- Q Is it better to be operated on for thyroid or take iodine pill for thyroid?
- Q What are effective treatments for an underactive thyroid?
- Q If I need thyroid surgery, how extensive will it be?
- Q What are the signs of low blood calcium after thyroid surgery?
- Q How do medications treat thyroid cysts?