The patient can usually eat and drink normally the night of the procedure. The incision is usually closed with absorbable sutures and surgical tape or glue. A light bandage that may be placed in the operating room should be removed the following morning. Patients may shower the next morning and get the incision wet but should not soak it in water (no soaking in a tub or swimming) for one week.
- Q Do I need medicine if I have borderline thyroid test results?
- Q What are effective treatments for an underactive thyroid?
- Q What is radioactive iodine (RAI) uptake?
- Q After thyroid surgery, how should I care for the incision site?
- Q When can I return to normal activity after thyroid surgery?
- Q How long will I be in the hospital after thyroid surgery?