The patient can usually eat and drink normally the night of the procedure. The incision is usually closed with absorbable sutures and surgical tape or glue. A light bandage that may be placed in the operating room should be removed the following morning. Patients may shower the next morning and get the incision wet but should not soak it in water (no soaking in a tub or swimming) for one week.
- Q Will I lose my voice after thyroid surgery?
- Q What are the risks of thyroid surgery?
- Q How should I care for my incision after thyroid surgery?
- Q Will my voice change after thyroid surgery?
- Q Will I have to take thyroid hormone after my thyroid surgery?
- Q Will I have pain after thyroid surgery?