The patient can usually eat and drink normally the night of the procedure. The incision is usually closed with absorbable sutures and surgical tape or glue. A light bandage that may be placed in the operating room should be removed the following morning. Patients may shower the next morning and get the incision wet but should not soak it in water (no soaking in a tub or swimming) for one week.
- Q Do I need medicine if I have borderline thyroid test results?
- Q How should I care for my incision after thyroid surgery?
- Q What are the signs of low blood calcium after thyroid surgery?
- Q Will I lose my voice after thyroid surgery?
- Q What are effective treatments for an underactive thyroid?
- Q What are treatment options for thyroid disorders?