The patient can usually eat and drink normally the night of the procedure. The incision is usually closed with absorbable sutures and surgical tape or glue. A light bandage that may be placed in the operating room should be removed the following morning. Patients may shower the next morning and get the incision wet but should not soak it in water (no soaking in a tub or swimming) for one week.
- Q When should I visit my doctor after thyroid surgery?
- Q What are effective treatments for an underactive thyroid?
- Q How long will I be in the hospital after thyroid surgery?
- Q Is it better to be operated on for thyroid or take iodine pill for thyroid?
- Q How long does thyroid surgery take?
- Q How do medications treat thyroid disorders?