What should I do if I have a thyroid nodule?

If you feel a thyroid nodule, your doctor will initially start the evaluation by a physical exam and laboratory tests to check if your thyroid function is normal. The next step is usually a thyroid ultrasound. Thyroid ultrasound can help determine the size of the nodule, whether it is solid or fluid filled (cystic), whether there are any other non-palpable nodules, and if there are any suspicious features. Based on the ultrasound and your thyroid function studies it will be decided whether you need a biopsy, known as a fine needle aspiration.

For more information go to http://www.thyroid.org/what-are-thyroid-nodules

If you see or feel a small bump, or nodule, on your thyroid (a butterfly-shaped gland at the base of the neck) make an appointment to see your family doctor. Some nodules are worrisome, and others are benign. Your family doctor will perform an exam and determine if a further workup is needed. This may include an ultrasound and bloodwork.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
The small butterfly-shaped endocrine gland at the bottom of your throat, otherwise known as the thyroid, is responsible for more of your body’s functi...
What does it mean when lab results show your TSH level is elevated?
James Lee, MDJames Lee, MD
TSH, thyroid stimulating hormone, is produced by the pituitary gland and signals the thyroid to make...
Low Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome Fatigue
Low Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome Fatigue
Plus a common hypothyroidism myth, busted. When it’s working properly, your thyroid—a hormone-producing gland at the base of your throat—is an unsung ...
How Do I Recognize a Thyroid Disease in My Child or Adolescent?