What does it mean when lab results show your TSH level is elevated?

Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), also known as thyrotropin, is produced by the pituitary gland in the brain and causes the thyroid to make thyroid hormone. When there is not enough thyroid hormone in the body, the pituitary makes more TSH, which tells the thyroid to make and release more thyroid hormone. Therefore, when patients have elevated TSH levels, it means they are hypothyroid and have an underactive thyroid.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org:

Thyroid gland: background, thyroid tests

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Know the Signs of Thyroid Issues
Know the Signs of Thyroid Issues
Your thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck, just below your Adam’s apple. The thyroid gland releases hormones that regul...
Are Thyroid Conditions Often Undiagnosed?
What Foods Should I Eat If I Have an Underactive Thyroid?
Why Do Women Get Thyroid Nodules?
Why Do Women Get Thyroid Nodules?