Is it common to have thyroid issues and low vitamin D?

It is quite common for a person to have both primary hyperparathyroidism and vitamin D deficiency, since primary hyperparathyroidism can lead to decreased vitamin D stores. This can sometimes make it difficult to establish the diagnosis of primary hyperparathyroidism. It is generally advisable to have the blood vitamin D levels checked during the work-up of parathyroid disease. For people who may have both primary hyperparathyroidism and vitamin D deficiency, some are best treated with surgery first, and others are best treated with vitamin D first. This decision should be made with your physician.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Is Thyroid Eye Disease Impacting Your Sleep?
Thyroid eye disease (TED) is a condition that affects some people with certain thyroid conditions. The most common thyroid condition associated with T...
What is hyperthyroidism?
Hyperthyroidism results when the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. The thyroid is a g...
What does it mean when lab results show your TSH level is elevated?
James Lee, MDJames Lee, MD
TSH, thyroid stimulating hormone, is produced by the pituitary gland and signals the thyroid to make...
What Foods Should I Avoid If I Have an Underactive Thyroid?