Is there a cure for hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The majority of thyroid nodules are curable. Usually, addressing the underlying cause of the thyroid nodules is essential to reducing or eliminating the problem. In the case of a genetic defect, which is believed to be one of the causes of hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules, a cure may not be possible. However, in these cases, doctors can treat the effects of the hyperfunctioning thyroid nodule to address the symptoms.

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Surgery for hyperfunctioning nodules is curative but is usually not necessary. In most cases, anti-thyroid medication such as methimazole or propylthiouracil (PTU) can control the over-production of thyroid hormone that results from a hyperfunctioning nodule. Radioactive iodine may also destroy enough of a hyperfunctioning nodule to correct the hormone over-production.  

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

What Healthcare Providers Treat Thyroid Eye Disease?
Thyroid eye disease (TED) is a condition that affects some people who have thyroid disorders. The most common thyroid disorder associated with TED is ...
What are treatment options for thyroid disorders?
If you have an underactive or overactive thyroid, you will likely need to take thyroid hormones to r...
Low Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome Fatigue
Low Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome Fatigue
Plus a common hypothyroidism myth, busted. When it’s working properly, your thyroid—a hormone-producing gland at the base of your throat—is an unsung ...
What Foods Should I Avoid If I Have an Underactive Thyroid?